RuneTrack Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

I'd like to announce a very special new feature to RuneTrack - the Automatic Timezone Converter!

It's common that whenever people post about RuneScape events on a forum, there are inevitably many replies asking for help with figuring out the event's time in their local timezone. Timezone conversions can be rather troublesome, sometimes people even miss events simply because they got the time conversion wrong.

So, what if there was some way for you to post the time of an event, and have that time magically always appear in the local time of whoever viewed it? I'm pleased to say that with the Automatic Timezone Converter image, this is now a possibility!

As a quick example, say you had an online event planned for the exact moment of midnight on New Year's Eve in New York City. You would simply create a timezone converter such as the one above, and whoever views it will have Midnight on January 1, 2010 converted to their local timezone.

As you can see, the image lists the event's name and its set time according to the event creator. However below that, you will additionally see the time in your local timezone, your location, and the amount of time remaining. The image works by s by matching the viewer's IP address to a geographical location, then converting the set event time to the local time off that location.

So instead of bothering with listing multiple timezones for an event and hoping people will get their own conversions right, you are able to avoid all of the confusion and simply place this image in your post. It acts like a normal image, just like the stat signatures, so it can be placed easily in forum/blog posts or anywhere you need it.

Feel try to try it out and end timezone confusion forever!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 pm 

Hiya, just a quick message, your converter is showing UK as GMT+2 We're only +1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The Geolocation API the converters run off of was just updated yesterday, and I guess there was a mistake as all GMT offsets are now an hour off. I have informed the Geolocation API administrator of the problem and he should be able to fix it soon.

In the meantime, I've created a fix in the converters to just subtract 1 from the received GMT offset, so it should all work good now. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm 

Well, if I knew it was that easy........ Thankyou. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 am 

Thanks for the addition, it looks to be a very handy feature for planning future events ^_^. More grats for your creations :D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:02 am 

very nice sword :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 am 

Sword, this is absolutely awesome!!
I have members from all over the world, and after a year some of them still can't figure out how to convert for their time zones! :P

I have noticed that an apostrophe in the event title confuses it, but it's easy to work around that.

Do you have a paypal or other means of donating to your site? You are doing some very helpful work here!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Admin

David Starr wrote:
Sword, this is absolutely awesome!!
I have members from all over the world, and after a year some of them still can't figure out how to convert for their time zones! :P

I have noticed that an apostrophe in the event title confuses it, but it's easy to work around that.

Do you have a paypal or other means of donating to your site? You are doing some very helpful work here!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Fixed the apostrophe issue, thanks - just forgot to turn off magic quote handling for the new timezone_converter directory. :)

Ah and I really appreciate the donation offer, it's always great to get positive feedback. I know other tracking sites I've seen often have a Donations button, but I decided not to accept any donations for RuneTrack for now as I just wanted it to be supported purely by the desire to provide people with free RuneScape tracking applications. I guess by not accepting donations I don't feel obligated to shift the focus of the site to another way of thinking just to attract donations, and ensure that RuneTrack always stays in the focus that I originally intended.

Thanks again though, it's posts like that that make me know what I'm doing is worth the effort. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:24 am 

Wow fantastic convertor! This will really help every gmaing community not just runescape! :thumbsup:

Is there anyway to set it out differnt/different background or get a source code for this? I just want it to like fit the theme of my clan site and stuff rofl ^_^ Could i design some themes in photoshop maybe? That would actually be really fun XD

Thanks so much \:D/
Peace.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Djjordie,

Many thanks, glad you're finding it useful. :)

Currently there is no way to modify the background picture, but I'll be looking into making the option for custom user backgrounds like the dynamic signatures later on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 pm 

its not showing my timezone on the image..i am gmt-10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Lezli wrote:
its not showing my timezone on the image..i am gmt-10

Thanks, I've now added support for Hawaii. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 pm 

This is very handy...thanks sword

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]