RuneTrack Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:28 am 

TORONTO - Josh Binstock had his eye on Sam Schachter for some time, believing the rising young player might be the missing ingredient for Olympic success.Beach volleyball can be a cutthroat business, and when the timing was right, Binstock made the call.Sam was on my radar because he won world championships as a junior, Binstock said. I dont think anyone from Canada has ever done that before, so I knew he had the potential. I was just waiting until I thought he had the potential to turn that into the senior level. And then as soon as I saw it, I made the decision to — I guess dump is the word — to end my partnership.Binstock and former partner Martin Reader finished 17th at the London Olympics and split after the Games. Binstock went on to play with two more partners before teaming up with Schachter.Then it became a running joke, You cant stick with anybody, youre all over the place, Binstock said with a laugh.Its tough, though, because youre really good friends with the people here (in the sport), he added. Its tough because its business but there is a personal element to it. You get over it, its nothing personal in terms of the friendship. Its just a business decision and I thought my chances were best with him, so thats how it happened.Binstock and Schachter teamed up just over a year ago, and have already found success on the international circuit, winning an FIVB World Tour event in Argentina in November — Canadas first victory since John Child and Mark Heese stepped atop a podium back in 1996.The two now have their sights set on qualifying for the Pan American Games in Toronto and then next years Olympics in Rio. Canada can only send one mens and one womens duo to each.Schachter has never been to an Olympics. For Binstock, Rio is unfinished business.(Before competing in London) I thought, Oh, I made the culmination of the epicness of what my sport is, which is the Olympics. I thought Id be satisfied with that, Binstock said. But leaving London I definitely wasnt. I told my parents, You know what? I am going to go again. They were like, What are you talking about? I thought you were actually going to get a real job. Theyre super supportive because they know that I usually have a good instinct.Binstock told his parents to give him a year playing with Schachter and they would see the reason for his Olympic optimism. They see it now, he said.Canadas national mens and womens beach teams are in town this week for a camp. Sitting at the squads training facility just north of downtown Toronto, a stones throw from Toronto FCs training grounds, Binstock and Schachter joked Thursday about their maturing relationship. If it resembles a marriage, its a happy one.Youre with each other travelling the world every day, eating, sleeping in the same room, so theres not really alone time, Binstock said. So you really need to get along with your partner, or things off the court can start manifesting on the court.We have other people on our support team that help facilitate these kinds of conversations, because when you first get together with somebody you want to make it all nice but sometimes stuff gets real, and youve got to make sure people dont take the real stuff personally. Its a maturing process ... so being able to have those conversations really strengthen our friendship I guess.Schachter remembers the night Binstock called him on the phone to talk about teaming up.He said he was interested in playing with me, and I cheered, Schachter said. Im pretty sure I gave a good jump ... I think when I hung up I did a couple fist pumps.At 34, Binstock is 10 years older than Schachter. Binstock is also a chiropractor.My other career, chiropractic, Im like the young guy and then with (the volleyball players) Im the old guy, so Im hanging with two extreme ages, said Binstock. It keeps me young, and I have to stay hip.Binstock and Schachter, who are both from Richmond Hill, Ont., complement each other well on the sand court. As the elder player, Binstocks strengths are about strategy, making adjustments on the fly, and developing and implementing gameplans.Growing up in the sport 10 years after Binstock, Schachter was able to capitalize on a beach volleyball coaching structure that wasnt in place when Binstock was young.I grew up in the more structured development system, where I know a lot technically whereas Josh didnt have that teaching when he was younger, so I can kind of contribute that way, Schachter said. Its just different.Their stiffest competition for spots on the Pan Am Games and Olympic teams is Ben Saxton and Chaim Schalk.Theyre a few spots ahead of us in the world rankings, but it should be between us, Schachter said.The two are optimistic, and point to their room for improvement.Usually teams play at least a quad, like four years beforehand, because thats how long it takes to develop that (chemistry), Binstock said. Back when we first got together we were kind of underachieving for our standards, and then it was like we had an exponential growth, instead of just a consistent thing. So were definitely still learning with each other. Kevin Fiala Jersey .com) - Guard Greivis Vasquez and forward Patrick Patterson, two key pieces to the Toronto Raptors run to an Atlantic Division title in 2013-14, were both given qualifying offers by the team on Saturday. Pekka Rinne Jersey .ca. The NHL Play of the Year showdown kicks off with some slick moves going head-to-head with a combination of soft hands and endless patience. http://www.nhlpredatorshockeystore.com/ ... lm-jersey/. The defeat leaves the 41-year-old Nestor to concentrate on the mixed-doubles event after winning 12 straight matches and winning Australian titles in Brisbane and Sydney with two different partners. "This was a little bit of a let down, but all credit to them," said Nestor. Dante Fabbro Jersey . -- Canadian ski cross star Marielle Thompson accomplished two goals in one race Saturday. Mike Fisher Jersey . Modin, 36, tallied seven goals and three assists in 36 games with the Thrashers this season. The Sundsvall, Sweden, native has posted 232 goals and 230 assists in 894 career NHL games with Toronto, Tampa Bay, Columbus, Los Angeles and Atlanta and has appeared in 57 post-season contests, helping the Lightning capture the 2004 Stanley Cup Championship.VANCOUVER - His first name is Hunter, but he protects the hunted. The B.C. Lions are hoping rookie offensive lineman Hunter Steward, slated to make his first CFL start, will be up to the task Saturday as they seek revenge for a loss earlier this season against the Montreal Alouettes. Steward, a 22-year-old Victoria, B.C., native, has taken the field for only three snaps this season, but the Lions are counting on him to help shore up their rotating left tackle spot and provide key pass protection and run-blocking. The Lions (1-2) could not handle Montreals constantly stunting defence in a one-sided July 4 loss as the Alouettes (1-2) earned their only win this season. Watch the game live on TSN, tonight at 7pm et/4pm pt. "It means a lot to me (to start)," said Steward, who played collegiately at Liberty in the U.S. "Ive wanted to play professional football for a long time. It wasnt football for my whole life, because Ive played many other sports. But Ive wanted to be a professional football player for many years now. Its come to fruition now and its exciting." But the Lions hunt for a permanent replacement for retired former all-star left tackle Ben Archibald has been less than thrilling - largely due to injuries, including one suffered by Steward early in training camp. Steward, drafted sixth overall by the Lions in 2013, will become B.Cs third different starting left tackle in four games. He faces a difficult test to perform well and stay healthy, because his backup, Jemarcus Hardrick, only joined the team recently. Ryan Cave, brought in as an emergency replacement, was released earlier this week after starting the past two games. Standing six-foot-seven and weighing 320 pounds, Steward provides plenty of brawn, but his body has proved brittle at times. He has battled his way to a starting role after suffering a sprained knee ligament in training camp and undergoing surgery to repair a torn shoulder labrum in the off-season. He said the shoulder, which required just one internal stitch, is fully healthy again, and his knee has almost reached that point. As a result, it wont be "a stretch" to step into the starting role after playing only in short-yardage situations in last weekends win over Saskatchewan. "It is only three (plays), but even just getting in there once gives you a sense of the speed (of the game)," he said. Steward and the rest of the offensive line will try to help quarterback Kevin Glenn get passes off quickly after he was intercepted twice and constantly pressured in the last meeting with the Als. Montreal held B.C. to 70 net yards in the first half of that contest and did not surrender a touchdown until the final minute. "They beat us last time, so thats added motivation," said Glenn. "You dont usually get a chance to play a team (again) this quick unless its like the Labour Day challenges - especially a team that actually beat you … Call it revenge.dddddddddddd" Glenn, who did not throw an interception against Saskatchewan, said the offensive line will play a critical role as the offence tries to penetrate Montreals defence. "It starts up front," he said. "Every team is built up front. Whether its defensive line or offensive line, its built in the trenches. And when you have guys that put out efforts like they did last week, the majority of the time you win. So thats something we want to sharpen - especially with this (Montreal) team, because this team was built on aggressiveness. So we want to match that. We want to fight aggression with aggression." But Montreal coach Tom Higgins, whose club is looking to rebound from a loss to Winnipeg, said the experience level of B.C.s offensive line wont make a difference to the Als defensive strategy. "Even if its the most veteran offensive line, were gonna put a lot of people in the blocks, were gonna come after you and were gonna see if we can cause confusion and put pressure on the quarterback," said Higgins. "If you dont tell them that its coming, they cant countermine. Its a matter of creating that illusion that you dont know where its coming from." There wasnt much doubt where B.C.s success originated last weekend in Regina. Running back Andrew Harris rushed for 138 yards and caught passes for 65 more against Saskatchewan. His combined 203 yards earned him CFL offensive and Canadian player of the week honours. Like Glenn, Harris is looking for the offensive linemen to work as one unit to help him continue to excel. "If theyre not doing the right thing, then Im not doing the right thing," said Harris. "I need to count on them and they need to count on me to make the right read." Lions coach Mike Benevides said he is not ready to "crown" a permanent new left offensive tackle yet. He wants the offensive line and all other parts of his team to continue to improve - and deliver a much better showing than in the first encounter with the Als this season. "It was an embarrassment," said Benevides. "It really hurt, because were a lot better football team than that." Notes — Lions defensive lineman Khalif Mitchell will miss the game due to an upper-body injury suffered against Saskatchewan. Brandon Jordan will take his roster spot while Jabar Westerman assumes his starting post. … Als running back Steven Lumbala is out with a concussion, missing a chance to play against his brother Rollies squad. Meanwhile, Als DB Jamaan Webb has been placed on the six-game injury list with a broken arm that required the insertion of a plate and screws. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]